Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rest unto Your Souls..........


This is the name of the talk i read this morning by Elder Per G. Malm from Octobers conference. Its been on my mind all day and there are a couple of quotes that I want to remember as a wife and a mom. I think sometimes as moms we get lost and worn down. Its a sacrifice, a really BIG sacrifice at times to give all your time and energy to everyone around you. Somedays are easy to be home with kids i feel at peace and love everything about it, others are hard and wearing and you may even feel the urge to get in the car and drive far really far away from the chaos!!! The past couple of years I have dwelt on it a lot and tried to find the right balance of everything. It seems i have had guilty mom syndrome over everything in the past. Maybe feeling i didn't measure up or feeling guilty for taking an hour for me to just go to the gym when i could be doing mom stuff instead. Its hard to find the right mix and just be fine with yourself, your messy closet, your kids messy face at church, being late, piles of laundry on your treadmill, your messy office that you can never get to........ok i'll stop!!! I am coming to realize that is life and you can be happy or not with it! I am a major quote person. I have them posted on my wall, mirror in the bathroom, written in journals and i keep a collection of them in a notebook. I love this one by Liza R. Snow "Women should be women not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?" I love that so basically NO whining ladies!! I feel like the lord knows what we have done and that is good enough we don't always have to be thanked by those around us....even though it is nice:)

I think the most important thing of all is kindness towards others which can be hardest with our own family. Elder Malm said in his talk "In our day-to-day actions, it is often the small and simple things that will have a long-lasting impact (Alma 37:6-7). What we say, how we act, and how we choose to react will influence not only ourselves but also those around us. We can build up, or we can tear down." Its hard sometimes but lets face it the mom has the influence to set the tone in the house. I am grateful and happy to be a mom and always trying harder to be better. I love these people! Even Will made it in the picture in the mirror!

2 comments:

Cortney Scott said...

Auntie, I love what you posted. I don't have the chaos of tons of children yet, but I do feel that way sometime.(Denton is a hand full..ha) You are awesome, and I think you do a great job, and are such a great example to me! Thanks! I love you.

Hilary said...

Amen sista!!! You are spot on, I have thought those same things so many times and I have wanted to drive far far away in my mini van and not come back, well at least until I've done a little shopping for myself! I am glad that we can do this mom thing together, even if it is across the nation! LOVE YOU